INSTALLING ROOF RACKS AND CARGO CARRIERS: EXPANDING STORAGE CAPACITY
When it comes to survival skills or disaster readiness, having enough storage space is crucial. Whether you’re heading out on a camping trip or evacuating during an emergency, you need to be able to carry all the essentials with you. That’s where installing roof racks and cargo carriers comes in. These handy accessories can expand your vehicle’s storage capacity, allowing you to bring along more gear, food, and supplies. But how do you choose the right roof rack or cargo carrier for your needs? And how do you install them safely and securely?
In this article, we’ll explore the ins and outs of installing roof racks and cargo carriers, so you can be prepared for whatever comes your way.
INSTALLING ROOF RACKS AND CARGO CARRIERS: EXPANDING STORAGE CAPACITY
When it comes to survival skills or disaster readiness, one of the most important things to consider is storage capacity. Whether you’re preparing for a long camping trip or a natural disaster, having enough space to store your supplies and equipment is crucial. This is where roof racks and cargo carriers come in. By installing these accessories on your vehicle, you can significantly expand your storage capacity and ensure that you have everything you need in case of an emergency.
Benefits of Roof Racks and Cargo Carriers
Before we dive into the installation process, let’s first discuss the benefits of roof racks and cargo carriers. Here are some of the main advantages of these accessories:
Increased Storage Capacity: The most obvious benefit of roof racks and cargo carriers is that they provide additional storage space. This is especially useful for outdoor enthusiasts who need to carry bulky items like camping gear, kayaks, or bicycles.
Improved Organization: By using a roof rack or cargo carrier, you can keep your gear organized and easily accessible. This is particularly important in emergency situations, where you may need to quickly access certain items.
Better Fuel Efficiency: Contrary to popular belief, roof racks and cargo carriers can actually improve your vehicle’s fuel efficiency. By moving bulky items from the interior of your car to the roof, you can reduce wind resistance and improve aerodynamics.
Enhanced Safety: Roof racks and cargo carriers are designed to securely hold your gear in place, reducing the risk of items flying off and causing accidents. Additionally, by keeping your gear outside of the car, you can free up space inside the vehicle and reduce the risk of injury in the event of a collision.
Steps for Installing Roof Racks and Cargo Carriers
Now that we’ve covered the benefits of roof racks and cargo carriers, let’s move on to the installation process. Here are the steps involved in installing these accessories:
Choose the Right Roof Rack or Cargo Carrier: The first step in installing a roof rack or cargo carrier is to choose the right one for your vehicle. There are many different types of roof racks and cargo carriers available, so it’s important to do your research and find one that fits your specific needs.
Gather Your Tools: Once you’ve chosen your roof rack or cargo carrier, you’ll need to gather the necessary tools for installation. This typically includes a wrench, screwdriver, and measuring tape.
Prepare Your Vehicle: Before you can install your roof rack or cargo carrier, you’ll need to prepare your vehicle. This may involve removing any existing roof rails or trim pieces, as well as cleaning the roof surface to ensure a secure fit.
Install the Roof Rack or Cargo Carrier: With your vehicle prepared, it’s time to install the roof rack or cargo carrier. This typically involves attaching the rack or carrier to the roof using bolts or clamps, and then securing it in place with additional hardware.
Test the Installation: Once your roof rack or cargo carrier is installed, it’s important to test it to ensure that it’s secure. This may involve adding weight to the rack or carrier and driving at various speeds to check for stability.
Installing roof racks and cargo carriers is a great way to expand your storage capacity and prepare for emergencies. By choosing the right accessories and following the proper installation steps, you can ensure that your gear is organized, easily accessible, and secure. Whether you’re planning a camping trip or preparing for a natural disaster, a roof rack or cargo carrier can make all the difference in your survival skills or disaster readiness.
- Best Rooftop Cargo Boxes of 2023 | Switchback Travel
For 2023, most of the top models are built by roof-rack giants Thule and Yakima … opens from the passenger side) and more than twice the storage capacity.
- RoofPax Expandable 15/19 cft. Car Rooftop Cargo … – Amazon.com
Car Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag, Waterproof Storage-including Double Zippers … RoofPax Expandable 15/19 cft. … Size: Expandable 15 to 19 Cubic feet.
- Expanding Wrangler Storage with Roof Racks & Rear Cargo Racks
Sep 18, 2019 … Expanding your rig’s storage capacity can be as simple as installing a roof rack. Roof racks are a great way to store bulkier cargo without …
- Mountain Top Cargo Carriers • Mountain Top USA
Mountain Top Cargo Carriers compatible with most bike and roof racks e.g. … Top Cargo Carriers conveniently expand your pickups storage capacity by a …
- Apex 18 cu. ft. Expandable Roof Top Cargo Bag RBG-07-4 – The …
Waterproof, PVC-coated nylon bag provides extra storage; Can be strapped to roof rack to keep it secure; Includes zippers and storm flaps to protect from …
- Best Hitch-mounted Bike Racks, Cargo Carriers, and More – Men’s …
Mar 9, 2023 … Expand storage capacity, extend range, and ramp up outdoor fun with accessories that mount securely to your vehicle’s receiver hitch.
- Cargo Boxes & Bags – Cargo Carriers – The Home Depot
Results 1 – 24 of 28 … Get free shipping on qualified Cargo Boxes & Bags products or … Waterproof Rooftop Carrier Bag Capacity Storage Roof Bag Use With Or.
- Hitch-Haul Expandable Rooftop Vehicle Cargo Carrier Bag — Black …
Expands to 14.5 cu. ft. capacity for plenty of storage. Black. What’s Included. (1) Rooftop vehicle cargo carrier bag; (8) …
- Best Rooftop Cargo Carriers of 2023 – Car and Driver
Mar 7, 2023 … At 43 by 39 inches, this is the smallest of six Arksen Univeral roof racks, with sizes up to 84 by 50 inches. Storage Capacity, N/A. Access, N/A.
- Everything you need to know about cargo boxes | Thule | United States
Cargo box fit guide – Find out all there is to know about roof boxes and their … Cargo boxes are a great way to increase the packing capacity of your car.
Fun facts about Installing Roof Racks and Cargo Carriers: Expanding Storage Capacity
- In a survival situation, having the ability to carry more supplies can greatly increase your chances of survival.
- Roof racks and cargo carriers are not just for vehicles – they can also be attached to bicycles, kayaks, and even backpacks.
- The first roof rack was invented in 1961 by Swedish engineer Erik Thulin.
- Cargo carriers come in a variety of shapes and sizes, including hard-shell boxes and soft-sided bags that can be folded up when not in use.
- Some roof racks require drilling into the vehicle’s roof for installation, while others use clamps or straps to secure them without damaging the car.
- When loading items onto a roof rack or cargo carrier, it’s important to distribute weight evenly so as not to throw off the balance of the vehicle or cause damage during transport.
- Many outdoor enthusiasts choose rooftop tents as an alternative form of shelter when camping – these tents attach directly onto a roof rack for easy setup and take-down on-the-go.
- Cargo nets are another useful accessory that can help keep items securely fastened down on top of a car or other mode of transportation with an open-air storage area (such as a pickup truck).